Saturday, June 25, 2011

maraschino cherries

Last year, I made maraschino cherries. I made a few half pints with a couple of different kinds of cherries, gave some away and as of today, I've got four cherries left.



I grew up as a child eating the bright red commercial maraschino cherries. These are not those cherries. These are so much better. Less sweet, certainly, but these taste like booze and cherries.

I use the N.Y. Times recipe.

The first cherries at the farmers market this year were small, pink and only somewhat sweet.

Last year I made them from sour cherries, which went over well with some of my friends who are far more into cocktails than I. I also made them with bing cherries, which I preferred. We'll see how these turn out.


I pitted them with my cherry pitter. It's pretty much a single use tool, but it saves so much time when you're working with cherries.


Then, I put my cherries in a pint jar and brought a little over a cup of Luxardo Maraschino to a boil on the stovetop. I topped the cherries with the hot booze, popped a lid on it, (took a couple of photos), and put the jar in the fridge to macerate. They'll be ready for cocktails in about a week.



Yum!

1 comment:

  1. hello Elizabeth. Apparently the winner of the Poetry Quiz picked up the name of Olson's poem from you, so that makes you the winner this week. Please email with your address so that we can send YOU a beautiful arrangement. info@bowstreetflowers.com

    ReplyDelete